Despite what you might think, enjoying a homemade pizza is possible – no delivery required! In this post, learn how to make one of these tasty creations from the comfort of your own kitchen with our tasty oven technique and BBQ Chicken Pizza recipe.
Oven Technique: 7 Easy Steps
For those of you that don’t know, I’m not the only chef in my family. My husband, Mark, likes to help me develop homemade recipes for the Dinner Diva and takes the beautiful photos you see week-to-week. He actually developed the oven technique I’m sharing in this post.
When making homemade pizza, you need more than fresh ingredients; your technique will play a big role in how the pizza turns out. The key to the perfect crust is a very hot oven and a griddle:
- Adjust your oven rack approximately 5 inches below the broiler (in our oven it’s the second position from the top).
- Set your oven temperature to 550 degrees F and, using a cast iron griddle (or a cast iron pan can be used), place it in a cold oven.
- Once your oven has been preheated (ovens vary, so this could take 10 minutes or longer), wait an additional 10 minutes until your griddle is smoking hot before you attempt to bake your pizza.
- After your dough has been made, you’re ready to assemble your pizza. For best results, sprinkle cornmeal or Semolina flour directly onto a pizza peel and then build your pizza on this surface so that you can easily move it in & out of the oven. The less you handle the dough, the better.
- Carefully slide the pizza onto the hot griddle and immediately switch your oven temperature from bake to broil. This method will ensure that both the top crust and the bottom crust finish cooking at the same time. No more soggy crusts!
- Broil 5 to 6 minutes, until the cheese melts and the crust is browned. Turn off oven.
- Using your pizza peel, remove the baked crust from your oven and slide onto an appropriate cutting surface. Cut the pizza into desired slices and serve immediately. Enjoy!
BBQ Chicken Pizza Recipe
Want to practice this technique? Here’s a pizza recipe to try it out on: BBQ Chicken Pizza with homemade dough. First, start with the dough:
- 125-150 ml water at 105 degrees F
- ½ teaspoon instant yeast
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 200 grams King Arthur Italian blend flour
- 50 grams all purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon Ajwain (or Mexican oregano as a substitute)
- 1 Tablespoon olive oil
Bloom the yeast in the water and sugar for 15 minutes, then add it to the remaining ingredients. Mix together with a fork, then knead in a stand mixer with the hook attachment for 5 minutes. Remove from the hook, form a ball, coat the dough with olive oil and let rise for 45 minutes. The dough makes two 9-10 inch crusts, perfect for personal size pizzas.
Add the following toppings to give your homemade pizza a BBQ Chicken flavor:
- Cloverleaf ranch barbecue sauce
- Shredded mozzarella cheese
- Gouda cheese
- Cilantro, roughly chopped
- White and dark meat of a rotisserie chicken
- Fresh mozzarella cheese (pearl size)
- Red onion
Your meal is ready to enjoy! Click here to download a printable version of this pizza recipe.
Mary Hathaway, Owner of Dinner Diva, has been a personal chef since 2002. She cooks regularly for clients who have special dietary needs, value healthy cooking by using organic products where possible and those who want healthy family meals but have no time to cook. Whether it’s a dinner for 4, a holiday party for 20, or a set of meals for the week, all of the recipes are customized to her client’s needs or lifestyle. Go to: Dinner-Diva.com for more info.